Influenza 2008 is officially here! The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that influenza activity continued to increase in the United States and the proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza was above the epidemic threshold. I write this report to you from my bed, where I have spent most of this week as result of THE FLU and now Conjunctivitis, more commonly known as Pink Eye. After a visit to the doctor twice this week what I learned about the flu is that
- If you had the Flu shot (I did) it does not “guarantee” you will not get the Flu.
- It is not too late to get a Flu shot, though it may not help because…
- This year’s flu vaccine may not be protection for this particular strain of Influenza
- Within 48 hours of coming down with the Flu you are able to get to the doctor you may be able to take an anti-viral drug to treat the Flu
- Antibiotics will not cure the Flu
- Chicken soup is not only good for the soul it’s good for treating Colds and Flu
I hope you avoid the Flu, but if not I hope this wee bit of knowledge helps.